I have been racing against falling temperatures, trying to finish a warm winter hat for Kat. Kat's head measured a whopping 19", so originally, I thought I would need to follow instructions for the child sized hat. However, when I first started the hat, I had a little bit of trouble matching gauge, mostly because I wanted to use a heavier yarn than the pattern recommended. So after going back and making several gauge swatches, I decided that following the instructions for the 12 month to 2 year size would allow me to accommodate a worsted weight yarn.
The pattern calls for the hat to be worked in the round until it measures 6" from the cast on edge, but the last hat that I made for Kat (just 1 month ago) only measured about 4.5" for the same part. So I started the decreases for this hat at 4.5" too. This turned out to be a bit of a problem...
As you can probably tell, the hat fit around, but just barely reached the tops of her ears! Uh-oh!
So now I'm working on how to make her hat longer. Guess I should have followed the pattern. (I'm really not good at following directions!) Since this hat was knit bottom up, I could either (a) rip out all my decreases, add more rounds, and redo the decreases (giant UGH! to ripping out my working and then having to redo it) or (b) figure out a way to add length to the cast on edge. I think I pick B. Stay tuned!