Being on maternity leave has given me plenty of time to not only focus on Buddy, but to also spend extra time with Kat and to start a few projects (like this blog!). I know that as Buddy gets older, the evening rush between the time I walk in the door until I fall into bed will become less stressful. But I remember how frantic that time of the day was when I first went back after Kat was born. Taking care of just Kat and preparing for the next day was sometimes all that I could do. So how do I take care of Buddy, prepare for the next day, AND spend some quality time with Kat? And I might be totally insane, but I would so love to be able to find time to continue some of my fun projects. Oh, and let's not totally forget NerdDad!
Plus how in the world am I going to leave this grin?
So before I get entirely overwhelmed, I want to write a few reminders for myself:
- Take life one step at a time. Try not to become overwhelmed thinking about things that need to be done tomorrow, next week, etc.
- Enjoy the few free moments throughout the day. Use those few seconds to take a deep breath and relax.
- Be willing to let some things go.
- Ask for help when needed. (And if I don't, I shouldn't get mad at NerdDad for not being able to read my mind!)
- Be open to change. With a new person in the family, we may need to change responsibilities or routines. For example, moving dinner time a half hour later might make the whole evening less stressful.