Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Making Whoopie!

Whoopie Pies, that is!


 We make a family trip to the library about once a month. And I almost always pick up a cookbook to look through. On the most recent trip, I came home with 1,000 Easy Recipes: Super Fun Food for Every Day from Food Network Magazine. From just looking through it (haven't tried much yet), I love that it includes both basic recipes, as well as spin-off and adaptations. And everything is normal everyday food!

This week, I needed a recipe for something sweet. Since Christmas, I've been trying to make a dessert or treat each week rather than purchasing something store-bought/made. If we're going to eat junk, I'd prefer to know what's in it!

I came across a recipe for Easy Whoopie Pie (similar recipe here).  I had all the ingredients on hand, and could use up the marshmallows that had been in the pantry since our fall bonfire - WIN!  I planned to have Kat help me make them while Buddy napped yesterday, but a last minute trip to the pediatrician for an ear infection nearly foiled our plans!  Instead, Kat helped me mix up the ingredients before dinner.  The dough needs to chill before baking, so I threw it in the refrigerator while we did the dinner-play-bedtime routine. 


Once Buddy was in bed, I did the baking while cleaning up the kitchen and prepping bottles... First batch into the oven, set timer for 8 minutes, load dishwasher.  Get next batch ready, assemble marshmallow pies, second batch in, timer for 8 minutes, clear table and wipe counters down.  Get next batch ready, assemble marshmallow pies, second batch in, timer for 8 minutes, prep next day's bottles.  DONE!  Pretty efficient use of time!  And now we get to enjoy these:


The cookies are very chocolately - the recipe calls for melted semisweet chips and cocoa powder.  And the texture is fudgy, almost like a brownie.  The filling is simply a large marshmallow (how easy is that?!).  I followed the recipe exactly, except that I chilled the dough for more than 30 minutes.  I used my small OXO cookie scoop (cookie making made easy - get one!) and got 42 cookies, which made 21 whoopie pies!  Whoop whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment